Can Chiropractic help with Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD)?
If you are affected by SPD it can have a huge affect on you quality of life and in some cases be simply unbearable. Fortunately, chiropractic provides a safe and effective treatment for SPD. The majority of women who receive chiropractic treatment for SPD, both before or after their baby is born, will experience a positive response, particularly if the cause lies in pelvic misalignment.
What is Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction?
The pubic symphysis is the joint at the very front of your pelvis. It can become unstable and misaligned during pregnancy due to the hormone relaxin which is released to relax the joints in the pelvis (which help the pelvis to open slightly during labour. This can result in Symphysis pubis dysfunction or SPD. Not all women suffer from SPD, some suffer from it post natally rather than during pregnancy and some suffer with their first baby and not with further pregnancies.
What Are the Symptoms?
SPD can occur from the 1st trimester of your pregnancy and the pain ranges from mild to incapacitating. Pain in both the pubic area and groin are the most prevalent symptoms, although you may also have the following symptoms: –
- Lower back pain particularly in the sacroiliac area
- Pelvic girdle or hip pain
- A grinding or clicking sensation from the pelvis
- Pain down the inside of your thighs or between your legs. This is usually made worse by parting your legs, walking, going up or down stairs and turning in bed
- Substantial pain at night – SPD has tendency to stop you from getting a good night’s sleep.
How do Chiropractors Treat SPD?
The focus from a chiropractor will be the management of the disorder, it is advisable for a woman with mild SPD to get treatment early to prevent the problem from becoming worse or even hampering the birth.
Both ligament and muscular pain are commonly associated with SPD, which can also be treated to manage the symptoms. A chiropractor will treat your pelvis using their hands to make gentle specific adjustments necessary to restore function of your pelvis. This will improve the efficiency of your nervous system which will enable your body to start healing naturally.
A chiropractor will be able to treat painful and damaged muscles associated with SPD using various soft muscle techniques whilst retraining receptors with may have been damaged as a result of SPD. This type of treatment poses no risk to your unborn baby
What can you do help yourself?
- Use a pillow between your legs and or under the baby bump when sleeping
- Rest often. Take the weight off your pelvis.
- Sit down whenever possible – this could be doing task you usually do standing up eg: ironing, getting dressed, making dinner
- Sit with out crossing your legs, and sit with your weight evenly spread across your bottom.
- Stand with your weight even on both feet
- Avoid lifting, twisting, standing for long period of time, and any strenuous activity
- Move slowly and avoid sudden movements and walk slowly up the stairs, even going sideways can be much easier!
Remember! Listen to your body – If it hurts don’t do it!
It’s perfectly safe
Chiropractic care is a very safe and effective treatment choice for anyone dealing with pelvic pain during pregnancy that is drug-free and has been proven to reduce symptoms and improve quality of life both during and after your pregnancy.
At Torbay Chiropractic Clinic we treat patients pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy and post pregnancy. For more information, or to book a consultation, please call our friendly reception team on 01803 329799